Friday, August 12, 2011

KING EYES THE CROWN



Lee Chong Wei was in a relaxed mood after defeating Kevin Cordon in the quarterfinals of the World Championships at the Wembley Arena in London.

The world number one defeated Cordon from Guatemala 21-7, 21-13 in a match that saw the crowd throwing their support behind the underdog.

But Chong Wei finished off his opponent with relative ease and was jovial, despite the fact that he was the lone Malaysian left standing in the World Champs.

Not even the fact that he will most probably be up against Chen Jin of China in the semi-finals tomorrow (Saturday) seem to have any effect as he joked with the Malaysian media.

For Chong Wei was happy to have made the last four, nevermind the fact that his last two opponents were considered as minnows in the badminton world.

“I have always lost out at the earlier stages, mostly at the last eight with exception in 2005 when I made the semis,” said Chong Wei.

“So making it to the semis has somewhat lifted the curse and I am looking at the semis with renewed optimism.

“It was a pity that Koo/Tan did not make it but they have many more tournaments to look forward to. I was sharing the pressure with them and now it will solely be on my shoulders.

“But this is something that I have become accustomed too and delivering the title will be my gift to all Malaysians.”

With Chen Jin showing stuttering form, Chong Wei is confident of getting the better of his opponent should they meet in the semis.

“ It is the semis, whoever my opponent is, will raise their game but I am prepared for it,” added Chong Wei.

“It is the title that I am after and I will give it my best each time I step onto the court.”